The Objectives of the Samoa Tourism Authority as mandated in the Samoa Tourism Authority Legislation therefore are to:
- Encourage private sector investment in the tourist and visitor industry
- Encourage visits to Samoa by people from other countries, including travel and holidays within Samoa
- Encourage the development and improvement of accommodation and facilities for tourists
- Coordinate and improve the activities of all sectors providing these services
- Advise the Government and the private sector on all matters relating to tourism
- Prepare, implement and maintain comprehensive tourism development and marketing plans for Samoa
- Market and promote Samoa effectively in identified source markets for Targeted annual increases in visitor arrival;
- Facilitate the development and improvement of new and existing tourism products;
- Encourage the improvement of tourism and support services;
- Encourage the increase of local community support for tourism;
- Ensure a well informed and coordinated sector;
- Ensure an efficient Authority with a friendly working environment and a strong results-driven corporate culture.
The Authority will also integrate into the performance of its functions additional Government policies that will be communicated through the Minister of Tourism or the Chief Executive Officer.
The change of the corporation name to the Samoa Tourism Authority in 2002 was to shift the emphasis from visitors to the broader concept of tourism and to also emphasise the Policy, Planning and Research functions of the Authority. The name change was also to align the Corporation with the Minister to whom it reports and the economic sector that it serves as a National Tourism Office
The Samoa Tourism Authority has a Board of Directors of which the Chairman is the Minister of Tourism. The Chief Executive Officer is responsible to the Board and advises the Chairman and the Board on policy and strategic issues as well as leading and overseeing the execution of the duties or functions of the organisation as per the name or title of the post affirms. There are five divisions which are as their names implies responsible for Marketing & Promotions, Planning & Development, Research & Statistics, Finance & Corporate Services and Policy Advice Division.